Topic 3:Class Registration

  • What are the rules and regulations regarding the maximum and the minimum of credits? What is the setting of the Course Enrollment System?

    (1) According to Article 13 of the School Constitution, first-year to third-year undergraduates are required to take at least 16 credits per semester with a maximum load of 27 credits. The fourth year students are required to take credits between 9 and 27 credits. If any special circumstance arises, students can add or drop one or more courses after the approval of the departmental chair. When students extend their term of study, they should enroll at least one course.
    During the first phase of the course enrollment period: the maximum number of credits that double major and the fourth year students can take is 27. The maximum credits for current students are 23. All credits do not include the general PE, GE, and All-Out Defense Education Military Training courses.
    (2)During the second phase of course enrollment period: the maximum credits are 33. If you want to have the approval of course overload, based on Article 13 of the School Constitution,  you can print the course enrollment list out and confirm with your department.  If you do not get the permission from the Chair of your department, we will inform you to cut your credits to 27(or below). 

  • What are course authorization codes?

    (1) Based on the enrollment need, the course authorization codes will be issued when students cannot add/drop courses in the online course registration system, the course instructors can download the course authorization codes themselves and give the codes to students who want to enroll the courses. When students got the course authorization codes, they can use the codes to enroll the courses in the course registration system.
    (2) Students, who use the course authorization code to enroll the courses, cannot drop the class or unauthorized enrollment transfers. Students could only drop the class during the mid-semester.

  • How do I obtain and use a course authorization code?

    (1)   If students receive a “do not meet requirements for course enrollment” (such as year, major, minor, etc.) or “the selected class is already full” and cannot add a class using the online course registration system, they can ask the instructor for an authorization code. After having the code, please enter the online course registration system, selecting [enrollment via course authorization code], and enter the codes that they have.  Students should click [search]; when the course shows on the system, they can click [add courses] to enroll that course.
    (2)   For more information, please see [The Guideline of Online Course Enrollment].

  • Are authorization codes limited in number?

    (1)   There is a fixed ratio to Course Authorization codes: If the number of enrolled students is less than 80, the number of the codes cannot exceed 40 percent of enrolled students. If the number of enrolled students is more than 81, the number of the codes cannot exceed 10 percent of enrolled students.  The ratio of codes to education courses cannot exceed 20 percent. The ratio of codes to general PE courses cannot exceed 10 percent.
    (2)   During the add/drop courses period, the instructors can increase the number of authorization codes according to the maximum of the classroom capacity.

  • When are authorization codes not applicable to class registration?

    (1) When students violate the regulations of General Education.
    (2) Students who do not meet the following requirements cannot add education courses: students without qualification or students take education courses less than 12 credits. Before adding teaching material and methods courses, and teaching internship, students did not take 12 credits (including the current semester).
    (3) Students do not meet the prerequisites for the English II and English III courses.
    (4) Graduates have taken 18 credits.
    (5) The courses, which enroll via Authorization codes, have scheduling conflicts with the courses that students have already enrolled.
    (6) Students violate the related rules of course enrollment.

  • What if I obtained a course authorization code, but forget to enroll for the course online?

     Course authorization codes could only be used during add/drop period. After this period, authorization codes will be invalid and will not be reissued for any reason.

  • What if I’ve lost my course authorization code?

    Please contact the instructor, writing down the course authorization code, enrolling online during add/ drop period. If you have any problem, please contact the Curriculum Division (02-7749-1114).

  • What are the guidelines for Education course enrollment?

    (1) Only students qualified for the Education course track will be able to enroll in Education courses. Authorization codes cannot circumvent these restrictions.
    Only the students who equip with the qualification of education courses can take the education courses. For more information, please contact the College of Teacher Education.
    (2) During the first course selection period, students can arrange the courses in order of preference, and the school will randomly distribute students to each course.
    (3) Our Education courses are not open to inter-school elective students.

  • What are the guidelines for credit program courses enrollment?

    (1) Students who already have the qualification can take credit programs. When the second phase of enrollment is open, the credit programs will open to students who do not equip with the qualification of taking credit program courses (some courses will not open to students who do not have the qualification of taking credit program courses).
    (2) The credits that students receive can be used towards credits of free elective courses.

  • How does the course distribution system work?

    (1) Normal distribution: The priority of courses distribution will depend on the complete degree of a survey by each student. If a student completes all surveys, they will be prioritized for placement in their preferred course. The fourth-year students will be in the second round for placement. Courses open to different programs (courses open to undergraduate and graduate school programs) will depend on the completion degree of the survey to select students who can take the class. If the enrollment exceeds the maximum number of spots available, the distribution order will be: students who have a high completion degree of surveys, seniors, then random distribution.
    * The fourth-year students include the students who study four years (or more).
    * the complete degree of courses evaluation is that the number of complete course surveys divide by the whole enrolled courses and multiply by 100%. For example, a student took ten courses in a semester. By the deadline of filling out the course evaluation survey, he/she completed nine surveys. Therefore, the complete degree of courses evaluation is 90% (Withdrawn and excused courses are regarded as completed automatically).
    (2) Priority goes to students in the major. When choosing students who can enroll the professional courses, from special circumstances (restricting to students in the department or for minoring), the priority order is as follows: major students→ double-major or minor students→ students from other departments.
    (3) The Distribution principle of General Education Distribution:
    (i) During the first semester, we reserve 15% of student number in General Education courses and provide to new students to enroll the class.
    (ii) During the first and second phases of courses enrollment, if a student has already taken up to the maximum of credits in one of GE fields (including the current semester), the field is no longer distributed for the student; however, the student can still enroll the field during add/ drop courses period.
    (iii) If students entered NTNU by 2007, can take up to 8 credits in each of four fields. If students entered NTNU after 2008, can take up to 6 credits in each of 6 Keystone courses and GE courses. If students entered NTNU after 2017, can take up to 6 credits in each of 7 Keystone courses. 

  • What if a class does not meet the minimum number of students required?

    (1)   For more information, please refer to the “Minimum number of students required per class regulations by each department.
    (2)   If a course does not meet the minimum number of students required, the system will automatically remove all students from the class. In this situation, if students do not meet the minimum credits that they should take in the current semester, each of their departments should assist the students to take other classes in order to meet the minimum credits in the current semester.

  •  I am a sophomore (or above), why I am unable to enroll courses during the first phase of course enrollment?

    If students who did not pass half of the courses that they took in the last semester, students are required to fill out a “course selection record form” obtaining the approval from their advisers and then submit the form to the Office of Academic Affairs (academic counseling forms can be obtained from each department after the beginning of the semester). Once students who did not submit the course selection record form to the office of academic affairs, the authority of the first phase of enrollment to the student will be limited.